October 9, 2016

Counting Your Blessings: an Immediate Mood Booster

I recently published articles here, here, and here about various aspects of staying content when life sends us emotional hurricane Matthews. We can do our best to protect our family and property, but that doesn’t guarantee we won’t have any trials. How does one really prepare for such life-shifting events?  

Focusing on the positives

Well, for one thing, we have to remain emotionally stable. One of the best ways to do this is to concentrate on anything encouraging in your life, no matter how small. A certain person may have difficulties in up to 90% of his life. That’s tough, no doubt. However, that still leaves 10% of life for which to be grateful.

It’s called counting your blessings. This mindset, or activity, is considered beneficial by both religion and science. It’s part of the current “positive psychology” movement.
Before I go further, let me say I’m well aware that optimism is anything but easy for some of us. Medical intervention may be necessary, and that’s okay. Changes in diet and lifestyle can help, too.

Most people can’t turn on a “Happy” switch; it’s much more complicated.

In general, though, the act of focusing on the positives in life can provide an immediate mood boost. This writing will refer to related information found in three articles here, here, and here.

How to Cultivate Optimism

1.     Count your blessings.
2.     Keep a gratitude journal.
3.     Express gratitude to others.
4.     See adversity as an opportunity to learn and grow.
5.     Change your self-talk. (Say and think only positive words about yourself.)

The Benefits of Counting Your Blessings

1.     Able to handle major challenges
2.     Takes nothing for granted
3.     More joy, which gets passed on to others
4.     More confident outlook on life
5.     Fewer health problems
6.     Deeper sleep
7.     Increased level of happiness

My Conclusion

“Don’t tell God how big your storm is. Tell your storm how big your God is.”—Author Unknown

“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”—1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Life is often a matter of perspective. It truly is. A certain person may have a relatively easy life but complain quite a bit. A different individual may have continual deep challenges but rarely whine. I’m sure we all know plenty of people who fit into each category. Each of us choose to center our attention on difficulties or helpful events.

We also decide whether or not to trust God in the hard times.

For more about positive thinking in the middle of storms, please see my book: Accept No Trash Talk: Overcoming the Odds.

Have you counted your blessings today?

No comments:

Post a Comment